5 Similarities Between Game of Thrones and Foundation Repair
*Season eight is not mentioned in this article. It has been called the world’s most popular show and with over 17 million viewers tuning in to watch season eight’s premiere, we thought sharing the similarities between our services and #got could be educating and fun.
1. Greyscale and Foundation Settlement – a once thought to be incurable disease which attacks the skin leaving it with scales and cracks (and much more), the highly contagious sickness spreads throughout the body. In season five episode two, Ser Jorah Mormont contracts greyscale and viewers watch the illness slowly debilitate Ser Jorah. Like foundations, small cracks often appear during the first signs of settlement. These cracks will often increase in size, spreading through doorframes, in the corners of windows, and may cause gaps or bowing floors. Luckily, there’s a cure!
2. Samwell Tarly, Latrine Duty, and Nasty Crawl Spaces – at the end of season six, trusted steward of the Night’s Watch, Samwell Tarly’s (whose hopes and dreams prior to the Night’s Watch included going to the Citadel to become a Maester) dreams come true, sort of. Queue season seven – as Samwell is sent to the Citadel to study to replace Maester Aemon, part of his duties to become a Maester include toilet duty. Season seven episode one shows a montage of Samwell breathing in the unpleasant odors of latrine duty. While crawl spaces don’t include toilets, the smells from a rotten, mold-infested, rodent-ridden crawl space aren’t too far off – and that air circulates throughout the first floor of your home. A nasty crawl space is 100% preventable and help is a free crawl space inspection away – you can sign up for one here.
3. Fire-Breathing Dragons, Heat, Humidity, and Destruction (#summeriscoming) – their first appearance on screen was possibly one of the most memorable scenes of the series. Season one, episode ten shows the newly hatched dragons perched on Daenerys’ shoulders after she walked out of what was left of the fire, completely unharmed. From here, we see the three dragons grow and light up the remaining seasons with their flames. Perhaps just as damaging as forceful dragon fire: – are summer heat and humidity. All foundations experience the shrink-swell impact of the heat on soil which proves to be problematic for homeowners. As soil dries, it shrinks making soils compact which causes the overall makeup of the soil to shift. Telltale signs include drywall cracks, cracks in doorframes, sticking windows and doors, and cracks on a home’s exterior. Signs that your crawl space is suffering from heat, moisture, and humidity include sagging or bouncy floors, musty or mold odors, and high electric bills. Additionally, open crawl space vents and doors are also a recipe for destruction due to the stack effect! Read more about that here.
4. The Night King and Transformation – the first White Walker was once a man, who, as explained in season six episode five, was turned by the Children of the Forest. The Night King, leader of the White Walkers, also leads the army of the dead, whose mission is to destroy all mankind. While in the long run, this transformation proved to be lethal, the transformation of an unkempt crawl space proves the opposite. A healthy crawl space is more important than we realize! Over 50% of the air we breathe comes from our crawl space, so if there’s mold or rat droppings, it will circulate throughout the air in our homes. Transform your crawl space into a dry, healthy space today.
5. Battle of the Blackwater and Outside Forces – defending the Red Keep inside King’s Landing from Stannis Baratheon’s army, season two episode nine allows viewers to see the depth of Tyrion Lannister’s genius. Acting Hand of the King, Tyrion, outnumbered in ships 10:1, sacrifices only one of his 20 total ships to hold off the Stannis’ army – a ship with nothing but leaking, flammable, deadly wildfire. When the single ship sails into the bay meeting the leading elements of Stannis’ army, one flaming arrow from the Lannister’s command ignites the ship and obliterates most of Stannis Baratheon’s army. Much like the Lannister’s fight against outside forces, homeowners need to defend their homes against outside elements like moisture-intrusion, pests, and rain. The best protection against these forces includes a fully sealed, encapsulated crawls space for homes built with this type of foundation. Basements benefit from an interior drainage channel, dehumidifier, and sump pump. All foundations benefit from having clean gutters and downspouts, making sure that the downspout collects water away from your home’s foundation. Check out more tips here!