Is your basement prone to leaks? Do you frequently have to use your shop vac to rid your basement of standing water? Are your door frames sticking, windows fogging and electricity bills on the rise?
If so, you may need to waterproof your basement.
The weather in Indianapolis, IN, has always been difficult to predict. One thing you can be sure of, though, is a fair amount of precipitation. If your basement isn’t waterproofed, the rain, snow, sleet and melt that plague Indianapolis roadways will make their way into your home.
Water in your basement is more than just a temporary inconvenience. If you can’t clear the water and dampness out of your basement quickly enough, your entire foundation may begin to suffer. Likewise, any belongings you keep in your basement may suffer significant damage.
So the need is there, then, to waterproof your basement ASAP. You can do this on your own, of course, but it’s much easier when you have a contractor to help. How do you go about finding a basement waterproofing contractor?
There are several waterproofing services in Indianapolis, IN. You’ll need to assess each to ensure they fit into your budget and can treat your home with the respect it deserves.
When choosing a waterproofing contractor to help waterproof your basement, keep an eye out for the following:
- Licensing – Above all else, the contractor you bring into your home needs to be qualified to waterproof your basement. This means having the appropriate licenses and insurance, should any mistakes arise during the process. While small businesses may still be getting their feet under them, they absolutely need to have the appropriate legal qualifications to do any work on your basement. If they don’t, move on to another contractor!
- Reputation – A waterproofing contractor’s reputation is built up by the clients that have been helped in the past. You’ll be able to learn more about the way your contractor of choice treats clients by reading reviews of the company. Reviews on Glassdoor, Yelp and even the contractor’s platform will give you an idea of how long the waterproofing process takes, what it requires of you, how much it costs and more. Above all else, though, these reviews will let you know whether or not you’ll be able to work with the contractor you’re researching. If they use methods you don’t approve of, arrive late, leave their work incomplete, or disregard clients’ needs, then you’ll want to take your business elsewhere.
- Experience – Well-established contractors aren’t the only people you can bring in to waterproof your basement. However, contractors with more experience are likely to do a better job waterproofing your home than those new to the business. Here, you’ll need to weigh a contractor’s experience against their reviews. Ask yourself, how long has this contractor been in operation, and what do their clients think of them? More often than not, experience lends itself to a smoother waterproofing process.
- Budget and Flexibility – While getting water out of your basement and foundation should be your top priority, you are allowed to price shop while looking for a contractor. Different contractors will list different prices for their various services. The cost of your basement waterproofing will depend on the method you wish to use and the size of any leaks found in the basement. Take advantage of any free quotes your potential contractors offer you to see how much rates fluctuate between the businesses. From there, it’s up to you to determine how much you want to spend on a dry basement.
- Time Table – Different contractors will be able to waterproof your basement on different time tables, depending on the amount of business they typically see and the breadth of your needed services. Again, feel free to shop your various contractors to see who can waterproof your basement in the most reasonable amount of time. Note, too, that the most extensive waterproofing processes typically take between three and five days, whereas simpler ones can be finished in less than 24 hours.
- Warranties – Finally, make sure the contractor you’re thinking of working with has warranty packages available for you to choose from. Warranties will help you keep your home safe and dry should a waterproofing service not turn out in your favor. Depending on the contractor you work with, you may be able to receive repairs free of charge. Without a warranty, a waterproofing job gone wrong will fall back on your head – and your wallet.
When it comes to finding the right waterproofing contractor, you’ve got plenty of options. Take your time and do your research in advance, though. When you look over your potential contractors with a discerning eye, your eventual waterproofing project will find greater success.
The post Find a Basement Waterproofing Contractor in Indianapolis, IN appeared first on Indiana Foundation Service.