Do you want to waterproof your home but aren’t sure where to start? There are plenty of waterproofing solutions at your disposal, and you’ll be able to talk to local contractors about which ones may best suit your home.
There are some solutions, however, that are more extensive and long-lasting than others. Let’s explore these options together so you can head into an inspection with some proposals under your belt.
Waterproofing Your Home: Why Does It Matter?
When you’re buying your first home or even moving somewhere new, you might not think to ask the previous owners whether or not your new space has been waterproofed. If you’re moving to Indianapolis, IN, however, waterproofing questions need to be at the top of your “must ask” list. Indiana is famous for its temperamental weather, and if you don’t have the protection you need, you may wake up one day and find that your previously lovely basement has turned into an indoor swimming pool.
Think of it this way: without waterproofing protections in place, water can more easily pool around the perimeter of your home. As water gathers here, it increases the amount of stress your foundation is under. That stress can both erode your foundation materials and cause the particles to rapidly expand and contract. As a result, it’s more likely that your foundation will crack. Once your foundation’s cracked, it won’t be long before you’re dealing with leaks.
Comparatively, waterproofing your basement protects it both against the immediate erosion water can cause as well as the stress that it can induce within your home. This means you’ll be able to keep your foundation from cracking while also creating a hydrophobic barrier between the outdoors and your home.
What Common Waterproofing Solutions Can You Choose From?
Where should you start when it comes to waterproofing your home? Your options will vary based on the size of the home you live in, the age of that home, and what solutions your budget allows for.
The good news is that the professional foundation and basement repair contractors working in Indianapolis, IN, will be able to offer you an inspection and free quote on their services. As a result, you’ll be able to choose your preferred waterproofing solution from an expansive catalog.
Your options may include but won’t be limited to:
- Interior drainage to catch leaking water
- Sump pumps to pump this water out of the basement
- Hydrophobic insulation to both insulate and help keep your home dry
- Underground discharge and drainage lines to re-direct water away from your home’s foundation
- Dehumidifiers to control moisture and humidity in your home
- Vapor barriers to further prevent water and vapor intrusion
Which Waterproofing Solutions Are Permanent?
Of the aforementioned waterproofing solutions, though, are there any that are truly permanent? Sort of. Most of the time, you’re going to have to have a contractor come in and repair or otherwise replace your waterproofing solutions as a choice. However, if you deal with severe flooding on a relatively frequent basis, you’ll want to talk to local professionals about foundation repairs such as piering.
Repair contractors often propose that you pier a home after the foundation has cracked. Piers can take your home’s weight off of your foundation and support it, thereby lessening the amount of stress that excessive precipitation can do to it.
The good news is that there are plenty of types of piering to choose from. Some of the piering solutions that are most frequently recommended include:
- Push Piers – These popular piers support a settling home. Installed down to more stable soil, they are able to better support the structure and can even help in returning your home back to its original level position.
- Helical Piers – These round-shaft piers are “screwed” into the ground and are best to use for minor to medium foundation damage. They are ideal to use for lighter structures like porches, patios, and chimneys.
- Slab Piers – These piers are used specifically for concrete slab foundation stabilization and lifting.
- Other Wall Repair and Reinforcement Systems – We provide various options for repair, as foundation cracks and damage can vary. Solutions like wall anchors, IntelliBrace beams, and Carbon Fiber supports all permanently reinforce the walls and prevent them from cracking or tilting any more. Wall anchor and IntelliBrace systems are best for severely damaged walls, and their unique design allows them to be tightened for potential wall repair. Carbon Fiber supports are best for less severe walls, and they hold the walls in their current positions.
You’ll want to determine what kind of waterproofing or foundation repair solutions to invest in based on the severity of leaks or cracks you’re dealing with and what kind of protection you’re looking for. Piering is a relatively extreme solution that does protect your home in the long term but will involve a fair amount of construction. If you’re looking for something that’s a little less intense, you can always talk to your local contractor about stacking the aforementioned waterproofing solutions.
Above all else, don’t let your concerns about waterproofing and protecting your home keep you from exploring potential solutions. It’s always best to work with the professionals in your area to protect your home. If you don’t at least entertain waterproofing options, you risk enduring significant flooding when the weather takes a turn.
Ready to get started? Get in touch with one of the professional foundation and basement repair contractors working in Indianapolis, IN, today. After a free inspection and repair quote, they’ll be able to tell you more about your home and what waterproofing solutions may suit you best.