Learn the Causes, Signs, and Solutions
Rainy season is upon us and for homes with foundation settlement, this can be harmful to your crawl space or basement. Similar to foundation settlement causes, there are causes on how water is able to enter your home’s crawl space or basement.
- Hydrostatic Pressure: This is the act of water putting pressure against the foundation of your home which causes the walls to bow or crack. Once this action happens, water has an easy route to either enter your crawl space or basement.
- Soil Settlement: Time causes soil to downgrade(?) toward your home, which gives water an easy route straight to the foundation of your home. Once again, putting pressure against the foundation.
- Clogged Footing Drain: Footing drains are installed to help keep water away from your home; however, when these drains become clogged, it leads water back towards your home.
Homes that are experiencing water damage will also have tell-tale signs of its damage.
- Wet Basement Walls: Your basement walls will become damp, causing mildew and mold to grow which effects the air you and your family breathe in.
- Efflorescence: This chalky white mineral substance forms when water comes into contact with concrete.
- Condensation: When water enters your crawl space or basement, there is high chance that rust will form and water droplets will be present due to the amount of humidity water brings with it.
Luckily, Indiana Foundation Service has solutions for your home’s crawl space and basements.
For basements, the SafeDri Triple Sump Pump or the ProX Sump Pump will help control the water capacity that enters your basement. For extra protection, you can have the Alert Battery System installed too, to help alert the household when water levels are too high in your basement.
For crawl spaces, the SafeDri Pro Sump Pump will help keep your crawl space dry. Designed with a cast iron body with a strong epoxy finish, this sump pump does not corrode or weaken with time.
Spring is here. Have you checked to make sure your home is ready for the rain and wet weather spring brings? Call Indiana Foundation Service at (800) 978-6980 or fill out the form below to have a free basement and crawl space inspection done!