Information on Controlling Foundation Mold Problems in Indiana
Are your allergies seemingly getting worse everyday? If you’re experiencing dampness or a musty odor throughout your basement, crawl space, or even your entire house, you most likely have foundation mold problems.
Mold and dust mites are significant nuisances to both you and your home’s health, especially if nothing is done to alleviate your problem.
In a short span of time, mold and rot can eat away at your home’s structure and could lead to other personal property damage. Meanwhile, allergies are triggered from mold spores and dust mite waste that can ultimately, lead to a variety of reactions in sensitive individuals.
We offer free mold and dust mite control quotes and necessary recommendations to better your Indiana home. Proudly serving the Greater Indianapolis area including: Indianapolis, Bloomington, Terre Haute, nearby areas such as Muncie, Lafayette, Anderson, Kokomo, Carmel and the surrounding areas.
Common Humidity Problems:
- Common Mold – Mold spores are present nearly everywhere, growing when they meet sufficient temperature, moisture, and organic material to grow. 50% of homes have at least one resident with allergies, with the American Lung Association showing that 88 million Americans suffering from some sort of respiratory distress. 90% of people with allergies show sensitivity to mold spores.
- Dust Mites — Dust mites are microscopic arachnids that live in your home, most often in carpeting, sofas, pillows, and other cushioned furniture. Dust mites create allergenic fecal material, which they release into the air as much as 20 times a day. Dust mites live in humid areas, absorbing moisture directly from the air.
- Black Mold — Black mold is a highly toxic mold that is rare but dangerous when it grows in the home. Black mold spores host a fungus that produces carcinogenic “mycotoxins” that are linked to ailments such as liver cancer, lung cancer, chronic liver damage, acute or chronic nervous system damage, endocrine problems, and others.
- Rot and Decay — Mold and rot can begin to form in damp wood in as little as 24-48 hours. If allowed to damage wood unchecked, rot, mold, and dry rot can lead to many thousands of dollars worth of damage to a home. In the case of dry rot, a 75% loss of toughness can be caused by a 1% weight loss. Rot and mold in wood should be addressed as soon as possible.
Our company offers proven solutions for controlling and mitigating mold, dust mites, structural rot, and humidity throughout your homes interior.
In business for over 15 years, our warrantied products and solutions can help eliminate sources of standing water. Eliminating standing water can help control your mold and mite problems if the “problem area” is no longer a problem.
We’ve been fixing damp, musty spaces since 1994, and we have the experience and products you need to keep your space dry all the time!
Mold and Dust Mite Health Facts
- Dust Mites and Mold Eat Organic Materials: That means any organic material at all. Dust, fabric, fiberglass resins and dyes, drywall, wallpaper, glue, paint, wood, or anything else is enough to keep it growing. As for dust mites, 1,000 of these critters can live in a single gram of dust, each one creating 20 waste pellets per day.
- Mold Can Live In The Cold: Ever see mold in a refrigerator? Research shows that as long as the temperature is above 40 °F (4 °C), mold can grow and spread.
- Mold and Dust Mites Grow Fast: Mold can begin to grow in a home in as little as 24-48 hours, with a billion mold spores growing on a single foot of drywall. A single female dust mite can lay upwards of 250 eggs in its three-month life span.
- Mold Leads To Insurance Woes: Due to tens of thousands of mold-related lawsuits being filed, most general liability and property insurance companies now exclude mold insurance from their policies.
- Mold Destroys Your Home: Professional Builder Magazine warns that mold will dramatically lower the value of your home. A home worth $250,000 can easily have $100,000 in mold problems. Mold can even lead to structural damage to your home!
- Mold Spores Can Damage Your Health: Mold spore exposure can occur through inhalation, ingestion, and skin contact. Mold and dust mite waste is connected to allergies, asthma, and other breathing issues. Even dead mold spores can be damaging to your health.
- Dust Mite Waste Is Highly Allergenic: 90% of patients show dermal reactivity to dust mite waste and 10% of the general population is also sensitive. Dust mite waste makes up 80-90% of the allergic component of house dust, containing 15 potent allergens that sensitize and trigger allergic reactions. In fact, American Family Physician states that “controlling dust mites is the most important thing you can do in your house to make your asthma and allergies better.”
- Mold and Dust Mites Are Sneaky: Mold can grow in fiberglass insulation, behind drywall panels, and behind wallpaper. Dust mites can live in furniture, cloth, and pillows. Just because you don’t see a problem does not mean that one does not exist.
Foundation Mold Problems and Information Control in Indiana
Mold, rot and dust mites all have thrive in common environments: they all need ample moisture and humidity to survive.
Both mold and dust mites need moisture from the air to survive. With a weakness addressed, the best thing a homeowner can do is to control and limit the ideal conditions of these house headaches.
By sealing cracks, gaps and other suspect areas from outside air and installing a dehumidifier, you can protect and limit yourself from mold and dust mite problems.
We offer free moisture control quotes to homeowners in our Indiana service area. Each quote includes an on-site inspection, written quote, and a copy of our basement waterproofing and crawl space e-book, which touches on foundation mold problems.